The Lower Carthusian Garden - Sengelsbach Meadow (Sengelsbachwiese)
Up until the mid 19th Century, the Carthusian Garden was only a relatively small area surrounding the gardener’s house. During the time of the court gardener Jäger, the gardens were extended by the acquisition of private gardens that were completely relandscaped and merged with the old Carthusian Garden. The western, that is, the lower, extension was added in the period between 1860 and 1873. This lower ‘new Carthusian Garden’ in the meadow beside the Sengelsbach stream was now made accessible via a winding path. An adjoining path was added to connect the lower garden with the upper garden. This stepped path leads to the lime tree lookout (Lindenaussichtsplatz).
In connection with the construction of the ‘New Carthusian Road’ (Neue Karthäuser Straße - today part of the Wartburgallee) from 1896 to 1900, the western part of the lower Carthusian Garden was cut off from the rest and the pond there was filled in and built over. The underground relocation of the Sengelsbach also took place at this time. Although the brook has not been visible since then, it remains the namesake for the lower part of the garden. On the ‘cut-off piece of the garden’ - on the other side of Wartburgallee - the "Monument to the History of the German Workers' Movement" by the artists Anke and Siegfried Besser was erected in the early 1980s and inaugurated in 1983.
As a result of the new road construction at the end of the 19th century, another section of the garden was subtracted in 1898: the Court confectioner Franz Schmitz had a representative building (later the Pioneer House, today Wartburgallee 55) erected there from 1900 to 1901, south of the later Gallery (Wandelhalle). The repurposing of further sections of the Carthusian Garden’s Sengelbach Meadow for private development along what would become the Wartburgallee was prevented by continued citizen protests in the period before the First World War. Today, the Sengelsbach Meadow is used for events, e.g. for the children's circus.
[fagus sylvatica pendula]
Giant Sequoia, also known as Giant Redwood or Big Tree
The trees are marked in the gardens.
DID YOU KNOW?
Some of our former monastery cemetery is still visible today. It is somewhat hidden but there is an ancient headstone here in the Carthusian Garden. Maybe you can find it! The engraving on the stone is weathered and is no longer legible. However in 1712 the text was noted down, so we know today that the gravestone belonged to ‘Günthers of Smyra’ (Smyra = Schmira near Erfurt), and that he died in 1428. He was the vicar at the Epiphany altar of the Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady).
So erreichen Sie uns
auf Google Maps anzeigen
Telefon: 03691 670-821
Fax: 03691 670-839
|Donnerstag:||9-12 und 14-16 Uhr|