WELCOME TO THE CARTHUSIAN GARDEN

This heritage listed garden with its 3.8 hectares is the oldest public garden complex in the Wartburg city of Eisenach. We invite you to trace the footsteps of the monks and ducal court gardeners as you walk around the garden.

The History of the Carthusian Garden

In the late Middle Ages (1378) Carthusian monks founded a monastery to the south of the city. The brothers built a church as well as living quarters and outbuildings. The monastery’s garden forms the basis of today’s garden and where it derives its name from. The monks terraced and landscaped these grounds, where they also created various ponds. The area surrounding the  former monastery’s church forms the centre of the gardens to this present day.


After the monks were driven out in the ‘Eisenach Priest Storm’ on the 24th April 1525 (an attack on church buildings and persons in the context of the Reformation), the monastery was  dissolved. The former monastery garden was then taken over by the dukes. Initially used for pleasure, the garden was later used as a “tree and vegetable garden” and a gardener’s house was  constructed on the ruins of the church around 1700. In 1788, Duke Carl August of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach (1757–1828) had the garden reconfigured into an ornamental garden “according  to the latest taste in gardens”. The garden then served as a botanical garden from 1802 to 1840 under the supervision of the court gardener and botanist, Friedrich Gottlieb Dietrich  (1765–1850). The garden hence provided the illustrative material for his extensive plant lexicon. From 1845 to 1890, the gardens were greatly expanded and redesigned under the supervision  of the court gardener, Hermann Jäger, a well-known author of numerous garden reference books. Around 1900 the garden was filled with native as well as countless exotic trees and shrubs.  Adjacent to the gardener’s house were greenhouses for the propagation and overwintering of plants. In the warmer months, the centre of the grounds was filled with potted plants (including palm trees, agaves, and laurel trees), and even cacti were planted in stone gardens.

Since 1930 the garden has been under city ownership. In 1950 the deer sculpture was installed, which gave the Deer Lawn (Hirschwiese) its name, and in 1960 the heather garden  (Heidegarten) was created. In 1979 the garden became protected as heritage listed. The propagation of all the ornamental plants for the city used to take place in the greenhouses next to the  gardener’s house. These greenhouses had to be removed in the 1990s, and in their place a pergola was erected. The colourful and lavishly designed flower beds around the gardener's house  belong to a 200 year old tradition of decorating the grounds in summer.

Botanical Highlights

Tulip Tree
[Liriodendron tulipifera]


Canadian Hemlock
[Tsuga canadensis]


Dawn Redwood
[Metasequoia glyptostroboides]


Yellow Buckeye
[Aesculus flawa]


The trees are marked in the gardens.

Site Map

DID YOU KNOW?

 

The name ‘Carthusian’ is derived from Chartreuse, an isolated mountain range on the edge of the French Alps. In 1084 the first monastery of the Carthusians, La Grande Chartreuse, was founded there.
Also of note: One of our brothers in the original monastery developed the herbal liqueur ‘chartreuse’ in 1737 following a recipe from 1605!

Park Regulations

So that these grounds retain their beauty, please observe the following rules within the Carthusian Garden (Kartausgarten) and the Gallery (Wandelhalle).

 

Failure to observe these regulations can result in a fine of up to 5000 Euro.

Dogs are to be kept on a leash.

Dog waste is to be collected and disposed of.

Rubbish should be placed in the bins provided.

(No household waste disposal).

Ball games and other sports require the

written permission of the city of Eisenach.

No bicycles, scooters, skateboards

or similar are to be ridden.

No consumption of alcohol.

No excessive noise or loud music.

No open fires, barbecues

or camping.

So erreichen Sie uns

Infrastrukturmanagement
Fachgebiet Grünflächen
Bernd Weißenborn
Heinrichstraße 11
99817 Eisenach
auf Google Maps anzeigen

Telefon: 03691 670-821
Fax:        03691 670-839
E-Mail

Montag: 9-12 Uhr
Dienstag: 9-12 Uhr
Mittwoch: 9-12 Uhr
Donnerstag: 9-12 und 14-16 Uhr
Freitag: 9-12 Uhr
sowie nach Vereinbarung